One of our fabulous guests today is Anna from HERDING CATS AND BURNING SOUP. I enjoy her blog, and she's a cat lover too, so natch Dana and I invited her to join up!
Ahhh Valentines Day. The bane of every "single" girl's existence, right? Eh, not this one! I guess I'm what you'd call a hopeful romantic? As a romance book lover it's definitely a holiday I can get behind...even if I've spent one or two of them in, um, unconventional locales...like a gun range!
It was just such a sweet, unguarded moment when it slipped through his lips and it got me thinking about endearments and nicknames. And I'm not just talking those we use with lovers and mates (though those are good too) but with all of the people and little beings we claim as ours and that are special to us as well.
"Oh, I don't know what to call you!"
He savored her amusement--and her earnest words. "Just call me yours. That is all I want to be." ~the Darkest Night by Gena Showalter
There are just so many routes you can go...
- The cheeky: Sweet Cheeks, Tough girl (said a little teasingly), wildcat or chickadee
- The tried and true classics... Sweetheart, Dear, Love, Honey or Baby. And Sugar (if you're anywhere near the South- and oh yeah this one can so be the exact opposite of an endearment LOL)
- The what you are: My cop (anyone know who that one belongs to?), My Viking, My Vampire...
- The foreign endearments murmured with a warm rolling Spanish tongue or a sexy Irish lilt among so many yummy other options...Querida, Ma Petit, A ghra and Lass
- Pup, cub or whelp. I love those too when the older shifter is talking to one of the younger ones (in the "you did good cub" way). Kinda like kiddo.
- Changing the name... doing the opposite of everyone else. Cat instead of Catharine. Or Alexander instead of Alex
I love the claiming part of endearments. Not in the cave-man route (though, okay, sometimes that totally works in the whole "MINE" kinda way *rawr*) but in the "you're special to me" way. That you've taken a little time out and thought about the person you're with and want them to know it.
So Valentines day though technically, I guess, the holidays of "lovers" is really a lovely holiday for all of us. A day to let all of those important to us know how much we care about them. From family and friends to our pets and of course the men and women who steal our hearts as well. For me that includes all of my kittens, dearlings, sweetlings and on occasion "hellions" who follow us on the blog. Yall have made blogging such a treat and truly are very special to me. <g>
I hope you all have a wonderful Valentines with all of the ones you love and that have earned little endearments from you along the way.
Twitter @herdingcats2012Pinterest http://pinterest.com/herdingcats2012/
Soooo a giveaway! Since it's nearly Valentines I thought I'd giveaway one of my favorite things...books! And all ya gotta do is use the rafflecopter form and leave a comment answering my question :) There are some extra entry options as well. One of y'all will win a paperback or ebook of your choice from the books we reviewed on herding cats this past year! They're all listed right here.